Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Week of Freedom


Well it has been a week of unemployment. I must say, so far so good. I have been cleaner in the house than i would be when employed. I have made dinners and gone shopping. I have had time to work on my art work and time to spend at the radio station. Even did another version of my podcast, which will be more often if this keeps up. I think i have been more productive than I have been in a normal work week.

The one rule i am making for myself in this lapse of work is that I will NOT take a job just to take a job, well at least not yet. I am holding out for something that is right for me. I don't need to jump into another job that I absolutely hate. And I refuse to take a pay cut either.

So today I had an interview. I was not too psyched to go, to be honest. I knew their hours and mine don't really agree with each other. But all in all, I can't say no to an interview. I have to give everything a chance and if this job is right for me, they will work around my needs as well. So I go in and all seems to be going okay. They even brought up the radio station and what my schedule is there and say that they could work around that as well. So I am fairly happy to hear that, but then he starts to quiz me. Literally. I had a verbal and written test. Now I understand talking to someone and giving scenarios on situations to find out how people respond to them. But I just felt a little taken aback by having to take a written test and adding things together. And not only adding things together off the top of my head. The written test was even about shit that doesn't even pertain to the job i am interviewing for, such as making a formula for an Excel file and organizing photos.

I think if you are going to do something like this, please let them know ahead of time. I was totally off my guard and might have been a bit more prepared mentally. Hell, at least brought my own pen! The whole thing left a bad taste in my mind. Then he gave me a tour after finishing my test. I walked around and saw the tiny rooms they work in. Then I realized that this metal finishing really is a lot of nothing. Cutting lengths of metal, tapping and die it, and then finish the metal with scotch brite pads. Really, not very difficult. I think i have a little more experience with metal than this. So this aspect of the job could be very boring.

The part that did interest me was some possibilities of learning more glass blowing and working with glass in general. I had done a course in glass blowing that i paid for in college. I left there with a new respect for glass after that. So the idea of learning more of this definitely interests me a lot. I am all about learning new things, but with my luck I would be stuck cutting brass tubing.

In the end, I walked away not really knowing what to think. I just don't know. I don't know if this is something i want or not. In the meantime, I can just keep going on with what i am enjoying on my own. And i am keeping busy, so boredom has not hit.

I have sent out a lot of resumes. So as my TKD teacher would like to say, if you throw enough mud on the wall, some of it has to stick. I am hoping there is some truth in that. I figure i am throwing out enough resumes, something has to stick. I am kind of wishing for a part time job. One that allows me to keep getting my unemployment and keeps me working and making a little money while I am allowed to work on my own work. Is that bad of me? I just feel like this is the first time since college that I am being allowed time to work on MY artwork. And I see progress. Something i haven't seen in way too long. I am almost finished with a piece. That makes me psyched. That is actually pushing me more and more as well. I am trying to get it finished by the end of this month. i have also started to work on another piece as well. It's amazing what happens to a creative mind when it isn't being bogged down with the job of hating your job. That really puts up a big wall in the creative progress and makes you extremely tired.

I also came across today some interesting reference material i had stored away from college. I haven't been able to look at it, but one of the things I found was about freelancing. Tomorrow i have a busy day at the radio station and then a concert, but I see Thursday as a great day to sit down and go over all this information. So busy days ahead. Then Friday night, i hop on a plane and am off to Chicago for a TKD seminar on refereeing. See, I told you I have not been bored. This free time just may do something good for me. Just stay tuned to see what it is!

No comments: