Monday, April 6, 2009

A Statistic


Yep, I am officially a statistic. I am apart of the 13.2 million people out there. I was laid off. Yep. It sucks, but part of me doesn't feel bad about it. We all know, I hated my job and every aspect of it, so part of me right now is breathing and finding my zen. I am not stressed, but it's only because I had way too much stress from old job. It's not like I didn't see it coming. I saw the numbers coming in, or more like not coming in. I saw the bills pile up and the stress getting worse and worse. I was the last full time employee there. We moved into a new space because of rent and sent out sculptures that were practically free.

So yes, it happened to me. It happened at lunch on Friday. He wanted to sit down and have a lunch meeting. When i heard that, I knew what was happening. We sat down and ate and talked about my vacation. I knew that was a cover. Then he said that they have no money. They can barely pay themselves. They are skimming by, and barely. He said I should know, which i did. He didn't say it officially for a while in the conversation. It was strange. I was hurt, only for the sake of not leaving somewhere because I said so. I wanted to be the one to say, I quit. Not leave and think- well at least i can collect unemployment.

So that is what is up. I am free. I don't have to dread going to work. I don't have to hate every single day. I won't feel the need to flip off my boss behind his back on a daily basis. I will be able to collect my thoughts. I will be able to do something for me now. I will be able to work on some art, go to WFMU more and find the real me again. I am good, I am not freaked out (yet) and I am remaining calm. We shall see what the future holds. But I think this all happened for a reason.

3 comments:

Mary (MPJ) said...

That sucks and is awesome. Since you weren't happy at the job, I'm betting it will end up great.

JustFrankie said...

I had no clue this happened to you. Someone stole my cord to my comp. and I could barely do the basic things. I think something better will come out of this just like when I went through my job hassles back in Sept. I waited it out even quit my first job offer because of my miserable co worker and now I love my the job I got after that one. I sometimes look forward to going to work and dread coming home because of the hassles here. Something magnificent is going to happen you just waqit and see.

JustFrankie said...

I'm going to Underwater theme park right after this and will drift off to sleep with it playing. Remember to remind me when you get your next slot at fmu. Hey will writing letters and saying how much I enjoy your shows help any, because i really love your theme based broadcasts. Should be on at least once a week.