Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year No Regrets


Well another year has come and went. As like all the years... it has had it's ups and downs. I think it was an interesting one and was glad to see some people got what they deserved. The election had its ups and downs, but all in all I think the best person won. The economy sucked... but luckily being an artist I don't have a 401K or really a savings. I don't own a house, so that was good too.

But I don't want to dwell on the bad. I think i had some good things this past year. I think it showed me that taking the initiative will get you places. You can't sit and wait for anything to happen. You have to be ready to take rejection, but you never know what may surprise you. I am not going to make any resolutions. Hell we don't follow em anyways. Yeah yeah, i wanna lose weight, get rich and be fabulous... but shit, who doesn't. I am going to just look back at things I am proud of.

I am damn proud first and foremost of the radio stuff. The beginning of the year I said to myself, screw it. I am going to make these podcasts and if people listen to them, cool. I just knew i had to do it and didn't care if copyright laws or what not got me. I made them, got more and more comfortable. I kept at it, not knowing what would come of it. Then the online radio site decided to start back up. This is where i started to begin with, so that was great. I would be able to have another place to post my stuff. I would have another audience. It would be good. Then WFMU, who i have volunteered for for the past 7 years was looking for someone to help out at the station. I said yes... and little by little, I have now been filling in on shows in hopes of having my own show one day. But even still, I have had great feed back from the fill ins and am just really happy with how that has turned out.

Even though i didn't make a ton of art like i thought i would, but i did take the initiative. I had three shows. didn't sell anything, but still having the opportunity to show my work was great in itself. I got great feedback on the pieces and was happy to be apart of the community. And it also made me realize that i can be a bit more direct about showing my stuff. Go ahead and just ask. Don't be afraid and be worried about being rejected. Different strokes for different folks... some stuff might not be that person's thing. I will find the right person.

Work has sucked this year, but i must say at least i still have a job. I can be thankful about that. I know a lot of people around here are getting laid off and I know that i have been miserable, but all in all, I am still getting paid. A new job will happen, not right now maybe, but it will happen.

For the first time in a long time, I have a savings account. We are saving up to buy a house. And not to sound like I am going to bank on others losses... but hells yeah i am! That shit was way way WAY over inflated in price. Not my fault most people didn't know how to do math and realize that they were paying more than what they were making. So as I sit waiting for people's egos to deflate a little and realize that their houses aren't worth as much as they have put it up for, I will keep saving to finally own something.

I am also happy i have had the opportunity to travel. Last years trip to Panama was great and my little trip down to Texas was a nice change of pace. I have another trip lined up for this March to go to Turkey. I am extremely excited for this trip. Such a culture change and i am already doing research as to what exactly I want to do for this trip.

So all in all, i think it was a great year. I have no real regrets. At least none that i can think of. And hell, if i can't think of them, then i obviously don't regret it at all! I am excited for the new year, even though i will be another year older and most likely none the wiser. I am just going to keep trudging along and try new things. I am just going to see where all these little things take me. I hope some new and exciting adventures. Everyone have a safe and good new year!

3 comments:

JustFrankie said...

You know what, I'm going to do the same thing this year that you did last year. While a pre-teen, it was a dream of mine to be a dj at a radio station. But my prick of a father told me I didn't have the voice to be a dj. No shit dad, I was 11. I also wanted to be a sports cameraman at Madison Square Garden, but that to was dashed by dad. He said it was impossible because it was a father son union. Your year has been quite an inspiration to me and I'm going to have that "What the heck, let me give it a shot attitude" that has worked so well for you. I hope you have a great year and it has been a pleasure knowing you through this amazing blog medium.

Your friend,

Frankie

JustFrankie said...

And one more thing. That novel you suggested "Broken" by D Clay will be available for me to pick up at the library on 1-10-09 at the hold shelf. So, we'll see if we share the same taste in literature as we do in music.

Later

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Happy New Year, Stag! :)