Monday, December 22, 2008

Whirlwind of a Weekend


Wow.... I can't believe i am still standing. I feel like i have been living at WFMU this past weekend. Oh wait, I kinda have. Really. So I did my show this past Saturday morning. Woke up at midnight to go get ready. Went down and did the train show. A couple glitches here and there, but all in all it was a good show. I had a lot of friends listen in and comment, which was really nice. I also got some other feedback from people that I don't know, which is even MORE important to me as they CHOOSE to stay and listen. I even got some weird phone call about how they had met me a while ago and they were enjoying the show but upset I brought my boyfriend with me. Odd.... but oh well. I guess I should expect to get those calls in the middle of the night.

I go home and sleep for a couple hours and relax all day. Clean up the house a little. Friend came over to hang out a little... Listened to the archive of the show... went to eat Indian Food. On my way to the Indian food, I saw i had a message on my phone from a DJ at WFMU. I listened to it and he needed someone to fill in for him for the next morning from 6 am to 9 am. I figured, hell this is a WAY better time slot, so why not? I called him back and he told me that he was sick and the station manager Ken had suggested me, since i was local. I figured that since Ken had recommended me to him, I should do it. That and it was a BETTER SLOT. But i had to get home, in my stage of over-tiredness, and pull together a show quickly. So I pulled together the car show which i had done, but still needed some more songs to make it last 3 hours.

I went in, started the show and was amazed. I was getting amazing feedback. People were calling in and writing on the comment page. And it was ALL people I didn't know at all. They felt compelled enough to write in and say something to me. I was shocked. I had one friend towards the end of the show write in, but that was it. It was all other people. I even had one DJ write in as well. It was the best thing and EXACTLY what i needed. I needed that feedback. I been needing it badly.

I have been doing this for a bit now, via my own podcasts and what not. I just have had friends and family basically listen to it. It hasn't really gone far from there. I have heard from some people i didn't know... but in the blogsphere I did. I just needed a new ear... one that doesn't know me or what I do. I even tried to get any feedback from the other site I do my podcasts on. That has produced a lot of nothing too and a whole lot of attitude from the only other person that does a show. I think it's just jealousy... as my show is way better than hers. Not being cocky... just honest. So it was great to get these people to write in from all over the world. Listening and liking what they heard. It was like radio crack. This is what DJ's are needing. That approval. That knowledge that there are people out there so happy to hear that is being played on the radio. I know i get really happy if I hear something I don't ever get to hear. Even when i was playing songs I would get people writing in saying-
From: cosmic

no thank you! theres something more magical when its happening right now though. even if it is lunchtime here!


or


From: tokindaddy

great show this morning, meghan, been listening since 5am, and I haven't heard one I didnt like


So here is the link for you all to listen to past archives if you haven't had a chance to listen- http://wfmu.org/playlists/MN.

2 comments:

JustFrankie said...

It is great to get feedback from strangers. You really have a great ear for music and I hope you can keep this up and maybe find a career doing this. Thank you for the mention in your monkey theme which I will listen to tonight at work. I didn't get to catch your FMU shows because of last minute work crap but I will listen to both shows this week. It's great to hear how enthusiastic you are about your weekend.

ib said...

Pleased for you, SA. We all thrive on feedback and the confirmation that what we do creates some kind of waves.

Have a great Christmas.