Monday, February 15, 2010

The Trials and Tribulations of Job Interviews


So this past Monday I had an interview. It went great. From what I could tell, they really were interested in me and what I had to offer them. I was equally excited cause it was just really nice to feel wanted and it was doing something I have been wanting to do. They asked me to come in on Friday for a second interview/trial. I thought, hey that is good. They had already asked me how much I was looking for and how many hours. It seemed promising.

Friday rolls around and I was was nervous. Something in my gut was just not sure about all this. I chalked it up as being the fact that I have been unemployed for about 9 months now and interviews were too far and few between. I show up on time thinking, well so far so good. I grabbed a nice cup of coffee and headed over to the place. I get there and I am early, as in noone is there yet. I look at the time and notice I am about 6 minutes early. It's winter and cold, so it's not like i want to hang out outside. I figure I will just wait patiently. My last job noone ever showed up on time! About 15 minutes later, the girl that is in charge of the office show up and was surprised noone was there yet. Then the boss showed up about a couple minutes later as we were waiting for the elevator. The office girl reminds the boss that I am there for working and the boss looked all surprised. At that point I am thinking, oh this isn't good. You don't remember me or the fact that I am supposed to be there! Finally things get worked out and I start to work.

I am in the room working with the guy that is in charge of that room. So I am sitting there and working by myself, listening to some WNYC. All is good. I think back to when I was working in that same sort of setting and how I enjoyed that. The guy that was in charge of the room kept leaving to go pick up stuff from outside, which I thought was kind of strange, but I was content on my working and didn't have any questions. What I did think was odd was the fact that he wasn't checking how I was doing. I would think that if I was doing a test run, they would want to make sure what I was doing was correct! But since I was rather content sitting there working, it was fine.

The room had no clock, but I am guessing it was around noon when some other guy showed up in the room. I wasn't sure if he worked there as well, but then he was handed an identical project as the one I had to work on. I then realized, wait a second- he's here applying for this job as well.... So then it was just me and this other guy working in the room. Neither of us talking and working, I wasn't exactly sure what was happening. All I knew at that point was that I was starving and was just wanting someone to come over and tell me when I should either leave or go to lunch. Finally the guy running the room comes back from one of his many disappearances and tells me that I can take lunch whenever. I go grab my coat and notice that the time is 2:45. No wonder I am starving!

I come back from my half hour lunch and about 15 minutes later, a third guy comes in the room. At this point I know he is also applying for the same job. He is very new at this and has a lot of questions. The guy in charge of the room tells the new guy to ask me and the other new guy if he has any questions. I helped the third guy out. I leave the room at one point to go get some water and notice that everyone has left but us. I walk back in the room and the guy in charge of the room says- I am leaving in a half hour, so you can go whenever you want. I must have given him a look of confusion since I was being told I can go home, finally, and still have no clue if I have a job or not!

I overheard him talking to the second guy about the job and saying something about me doing 2 different jobs. The poor third guy was even more confused and realized that we were all in there for the same thing. I laughed and said to him- yeah, we are all in the same boat. I left there not knowing anything and told to come back in on Monday and if there were any changes, he'd send me an email this weekend.

So here I am Monday, after a weekend of being a bit annoyed and determined to go in today to not work until I got some information. I was not going to work another entire day and not be payed. I needed answers. So I am getting ready to go to "work" and I look down at my phone, which I usually do rather religiously anyways, and notice an email. I look at it and it says something like this- "It was a pleasure working with you last week. Give the studio a call to reschedule a time to come in and see what my other capabilities are." This was in reference to the other position at the place that they are interested in having me do as well. The whole thing is odd.

The whole thing makes me weary. I don't know what they are thinking and they are not communicating it with me. I had had these horrible communications in past jobs and that has driven me insane. I don't like that kind of work environment. I have been in trouble for things because they weren't communicated to me, and I do not enjoy being put in that situation. My gut is just saying don't do it. My brain is saying- You haven't worked in 9 months. I don't know which to listen to.

2 comments:

ib said...

Those f@ckers are just jerking your chain, SA. You are still going in there only because you possess too much grit, what the f@ck; the whole place might burn down and they might never know.

Then again. I am precisely the same. I would be there still, myself, guessing about the subterfuge and how I might improve upon one thing or two.

Of course. I am unemployed too. Do not mistake my word for anything of import.

Jesus. If it keeps up like this, who knows ? Maybe we both of us might stumble into a cobwebbed hiring chair.

wv = 'impore'

ib said...

Well. I was a little drunk when I wrote the above last night. What I meant to convey was my solidarity.