Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Ahhhhh, hello all! I am BACK. Back in more ways than one. I was away as you might have been able to tell by my lack of posts and due to craziness at work. I was also away on a MUCH needed vacation. And lastly I am back in a "my mind and patience are re-aligned" way. I feel a lot better to have been away. I really needed to get away from everything. I guess i should go back a few weeks, to give you an idea of crazy.....

Well two to three weeks ago, my work was getting ready to go through a move. We were packing up the studio and getting ready to move to a new space. The new space is good in the sense that it is closer for me to get to and drops my commute by 15 minutes. So that is good. So it was a good move.... but bad at the same time. So in the middle of packing, our phones and internet were turned off, which then means no sales were coming in. We lost contact with all our clients and since my job is in sales.... that is not too wise.

When we did finally move to the new place, I was told that the new office, which had to be made was moving right along. I was under the assumption that it was going to be by the middle of the week that we would be back to normal. That Monday morning when i walked into work, I looked around to the lack of work that was done and the horror of what was ahead. All the office was was a built up loft space. Just a floor. That was it. The guys were just starting to build the walls that day. So between, dry walling, mudding up the walls, sanding the walls, scrapping the decay and paint off the beams and ceiling, repainting the ceiling, painting the entire room, moving shit around.... I was doing everything BUT my job title. Now don't get me wrong. i am not a primadonna. I don't mind getting dirty and doing some hard labor. I actually miss it in a way, so sorry Chuck... I do miss being dirty from the mold room! The problem was more of- not my job department. I was not prepared to all of a sudden do the work that was needed. I was wearing nice clothes under false assumptions of the progress. The other issue was that I ended up being the only person working! I was told- Oh yeah... no worries... here you will have all these people to work with you on these miserable tasks, such as painting a ceiling. Then they would be pulled away and I would be left alone doing it. Yeah... fun.

The first week finished, and there was still no office. Just a pure skeleton of one. The following week, they had moved in all the furniture.... and moved it into the undone office.... which you saw images of. So needless to say, all that had to keep getting moved around that like annoying puzzle game where one piece is missing and you have to slide the pieces around one at a time to make the image complete. Yeah. Awesome. So on top of getting no help, my boss who you all already know that I think is completely useless, did NOTHING. He did absolutely no manual labor in helping getting the office ready. He stood to the side playing with his iPhone. That pissed me off more than anything. I was busting my ass (and back) while he did nothing. He'd come in and move stuff in the way of what you were working on, or give useless ideas about what should be done next. Then he would say... okay i gotta go home and do some work. Nice eh? Oh, and did i mention that there was no hot water or heat? No? Well, there wasn't. So washing your hands after getting utterly filthy was next to impossible. You would wash them in freezing water, dry them off on your dirty clothes and have them be freezing cause the room temperature was freezing. Yeah....

That week, i busted my ass and finished the painting and started to move the carpet around when TA DA! I threw my back out. Yes... two days before my vacation. Why was I moving carpet without help? oh i wonder..... I had noone else helping me. The guy i work with was watching me move it when it happened too. Nice huh? So I sent an email to my boss saying- you planning on coming here and helping any time soon? I just threw my back out trying to do this by myself. So he came in and I went off to the acupuncturist. That man worked miracles. MIRACLES. If you never have had that done... go do it! I don't care if you are afraid of needles.... just do it.

Finally the last day before my vacation, I came in, helped roll out the carpet with my boss and coworker and we finally had an official office by the end of the day. Amazing.

Oh, while all that drama was happening that last week, I was also busting ass at WFMU. It was marathon week and I was working on two shows that week. So I spent ever single day at WFMU that week. Which isn't a bad thing... just eats up all my extra time.

So lastly I finally went on vacation.... YAY! and I will write about Istanbul later... with appropriate images to go with! But wow... did I need that break. The one good thing is that when i got off the plane, I had a message on my email asking me to do a fill in for Wednesday, March 18th. So of course I said HELLS YEAH! So tomorrow night at 11pm to 2am EST I will be spinning tunes at the station again! Very exciting. So come listen and send your love!

So now that i am all rested and relaxed, I am ready to jump into the swing of things again. Sorry I have been missing! Now go out for a tasty beer tonight and for god sakes... don't drink green beer... that is just wrong. And if you are in Chicago... go by the the river to see it that brilliant green color.

1 comment:

Release Agent said...

My sincerest apologies, Meg! I was under the impression that there were actual renovation workers doing all that stuff and that it was happening in your previous work location. Hence, my somewhat unsympathetic comments. Having to do much of the deal yourself with no help is just plain wrong! ("STOP PUTTING SHIT IN MY WAY, YOU FUCKIN' ASSHOLE!!!") Been there.

Glad your back and ready to go. I'll be listening tomorrow, of course.